Monday, October 11, 2010

A Song, A Prayer and Goodbye

Beautiful flowers and candles lit.
A stunning picture of her on the center table.
A smile stretched from ear to ear on her face.
Kind words spoken of how sweet she was.
How caring of others.
The reading of how life is like a garden.  (See below)
A song sung by her oldest Son.  I Come to the Garden alone. 
A hymn sung at my Memommie's funeral five years ago also sung by him.
Words from her Bible teacher and friend.
A Psalm read by her only Grand daughter.
Her ashes placed beside her husband's ashes.

The service was over.

I woke this morning with tears in my eyes.

Thinking how she was like whipping cream on a dessert to me.  She was life's whipping cream.  She made everyday so much better, special.  She made holiday's delicious.  The holiday started when she arrived.

My niece is here with me, and I wonder if I could ever be as good of an Aunt to her that mine was to me.  It is comforting to have her here.  Now it is my turn.  Time for me to be the glue for my family.


Life’s Garden



To plant a garden for daily living, plant three rows of peas:

Peace of mind, peace of heart and peace of soul.

Add four rows of squash:

Squash gossip, squash indifference, squash grumbling and squash selfishness.

Add four rows of lettuce:

Let us be faithful, let us be kind, let us be patient and let us really love one another.

And, no garden is complete without turnips:

Turn ups for meetings, turn up for service and turn up to help those in need.

Finally, a garden requires thyme:

Time for each other, time for family, time for friends.

Water freely with patience and cultivate with love. You’ll have much fruit in our garden, because you reap what you sow.

We found this in one of her seven bibles she used everyday.  Her Bible teacher told us she shared this writing just weeks ago with her study group. 
 
We all smiled.  Seeing and feeling her presence once again.  It felt good.  It felt really good.  She too was a gardener.

4 comments:

  1. Bless her heart... and bless your heart for your loss. She sounds like she was such a wonderful soul...

    Yes, it IS time for you to be the glue for your family, but I suppose you are that anyway... and if nothing more, your Aunt's passing has helped to emphasize this point to you.

    I'm reminded of the passage I read in one of my books back after my friend, Robert, passed. When someone leaves us like your Aunt has, she takes a bit of you with her... and that's obvious because of the loss you feel. Eventually, you will realize that she left a big part of her with you... and from what I've read, I think you realize already that she's left a major part of herself with you...

    Peace to you, Carol...

    Namaste...
    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably don't realize how comforting comments like this are. they help. thank you for your sweet words.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoes is right. You called this blog the Gardener from the very beginning. I think you are more like your aunt than you give yourself credit.

    What a lovely poem to find in her Bible. It sounds like she lived her life in just that way. By keeping her memory alive and living as she did, she carries on. She lives in your heart and the hearts of all the people who loved her.

    xoxoxo
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm terribly sorry carol. i just got your message. praying for you and the family. so sorry to hear this news.

    ReplyDelete